Monday, August 8, 2011

A Quick and easy background

This week at The Friends of Speedy the Cat blog the challenge was to make anything but the regular 4 1/4x 5 1/2 card. I had a Center Stair Step card base on my desk. That's where I began. I wanted to use my new Lilacs in the Summer stamp set from Marks Finest Papers. Now I needed a background that would stand out so out came the webbing and if you scroll down I will show you how I did it along with a sample of a background I have had for sometime but wasn't happy with it until I sprayed it this morning with Webbing. Can't find webbing. You can find it here


Here is a sample I had stomped with a sponge and metallic paints. Never really cared for it but I keep everything. Never know when you might be able to use it.





 And here it is with Black Webbing. What a difference. So if you ever have a background you are not happy with bring out the webbing. You might be creatively surprised.



Now here is how I made my background for todays challenge card. I started out with white card stock and my small Memento pads. This size of ink pad is great for this.





Start with your 2 lightest colors and just swirl ink around. There is no right or wrong way.



Then add a medium color and then a darker color if you like. Next is the webbing.

My favorite is the black but do use the gold and white a lot. It also comes in silver. I don't find myself reaching for that one though very often. Here is my background after being sprayed with gold and then black.
The secret is to keep your arm moving. If you spray dead on you will get blobs and not a webbing look.


3 comments:

Winnie and Patty said...

Pat--great tutorial!!!! What a great card! And a great take on this week's challenge. Thanks for playing along with us this week at Speedy the Cat's Friends challenge!

Janeen said...

How cool is that? Never saw that done before, i sure do learn a lot by hopping around on all these blogs. Great tutorial for us and what a gorgeous way to show off those lilacs. Thanks for entering your fun card in the Anything but a regular card size with Speedy the Cat.

Carol Hurlock said...

Well I just learned something new tonight. I have never saw this webbing stuff but it is really cool. I love the background it makes-thanks so much for sharing-I must check it out. Your card is just amazing. Love that image and this style card. Spectacular. Thank you so much for playing along with Speedy's Friends challenge. It is a pleasure to visit and see your work. Hope you can play with us again next week.

Bear Hugs,
Carol